Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Scholar Stories: Carmen D. Mercedez

Carmen Mercedez is a recipient of the "Dr. Janis Guerrero Thompson Memorial Scholarship" funded by the Austin Capital Area Community Leadership Council. She is a native of Las Vegas, NV and is expected to graduate on May 2015 from the University of Texas at Austin.
 
"HSC has been an integral part of my graduate school experience. Not only has the organization provided my family and I financial support to help pay for my PhD, but it has also provided emotional support through mentoring, workshops, leadership conferences and opportunities to network with other scholars and professionals."

Carmen has successfully overcame many obstacles as a first-generation college student. After attaining a Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics Educations and a Masters in Mathematics from UT-Austin, she uses her experience and knowledge to guide others in the same direction.
"As the first member in my family to graduate from high school, I knew very little about navigating college. Now, as a PhD candidate at the University of Texas-Austin majoring in Educational Administration, I am able to help others navigate and succeed in post-secondary settings, through my own lived experiences."

Carmen learned to navigate through college despite being the first in her family to attend college. Although she was faced with many struggles along the road, she did not let her hardships stop her from achieving her goals.
"Although I have experienced many hardships as a student, they have not stopped me from making my dream a reality. Juggling multiple jobs, kids, and school continues to bring me greater challenges but it has also made me stronger. I have endured much but through it all I know I have had the support of my HSC family---something I will value for years to come."

Carmen is actively involved at her campus in which she serves as a guide for mainly first-generations students. She has also had the opportunity to volunteer at Explore UT and study abroad.
"At the UT-Austin, I have been actively involved in the Gateway Scholars program and in research through Project MALES (Mentoring to Achieve Latino Educational Success). This has led me to conduct several research projects, present at numerous conferences and attend several of their conferences."

In the future, Carmen plans to be a college professor. She gains experience by helping individuals earn college degrees and earn a living wage.


To donate to hard-working scholars like Carmen, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment